Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Opening My Eyes to Freedom

As Easter approaches I've been trying to spend extra time in my devotions reflecting on the gospel.






I was reading today from Mark 10:46-52 about the blind man Bartimaeus. He was a blind man sitting by the roadside as Jesus, His disciples and a large crowd were leaving Jericho to head to Jerusalem.



Bartimeus heard it was Jesus passing and he shouted, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" When others following Jesus heard him, they began to rebuke him and told him to be quiet.



It shows they weren't fully understanding Jesus' purpose. Many who followed Jesus, including His disciples, believed He was the son of God but thought His going to Jerusalem was to deliver the Jews from the Roman government.



I try to put myself there and imagine how the crowd was pumped up thinking of Jesus more as a political figure. They may have been hoping Jesus would overthrow the Romans and rule Israel. The closer they got to Jerusalem the closer they were to freedom. Then out of nowhere, this blind beggar shouts for Jesus. How dare he? How dare he divert Jesus' attention away from His real mission?



How many times have I misunderstood God's mission for my own life?



But oh how I love Christ's response in Mark 10:49, "Call him."



It says in 10:50 Throwing His cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.



Jesus then asks him in 10:51 "What do you want me to do for you?"



Then Bartimaeus said, "Rabbi, I want to see."



I find it fascinating that just as this blind man excitedly jumped to his feet and threw off his cloak, the Lord longs for us to come to Him with excitement, letting go of anything weighing us down.



Just like this blind man, our hearts should be crying out to the Lord desiring to see and to be brought out of the darkness.



As we think about Easter and what Christ has done for us on the cross, I pray that I will continuously have a heart that shouts, "Lord have mercy on me! Help me, I want to see this life, my life and those around me, the way you do!"





And oh we're not done with the story, here's verse 10:52 "Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he (Bartimaeus) received sight and followed Jesus along the road.



This blind man was following Jesus along the road, the road to freedom. Little did he or those following Jesus, that this would mean eternal freedom not political freedom.



I also find it interesting that this is the last recorded miracle Jesus performed before entering the Holy City. This speaks volumes to me as to where God's heart is. The last miracle He performed before dieing on the cross was to give a poor, blind beggar sight! I am and was, before giving my life to Christ, that poor and blind beggar.



He wants us to cry out to Him and to be desperate in our need to see!



So as we reflect on the gift of Christ's death, burial and resurrection let's ask God for sight to see and to be free!



Have a joy filled day!





3 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for stopping by! Great thoughts on Bartimaeus. I'm a Kansas girl too!

Alida Sharp said...

love your photos... great post!

Happy WFW!

Christina said...

What a wonderful truth! And the pics are so cute! Thanks for sharing.